The Mississippi State University Master of Physician Assistant Studies Program offers information sessions for individuals who are interested in attending the program.
What to expect: Information sessions are given by the program and are open to the public. These sessions are scheduled two to three times a year; the schedule can be obtained by looking at this website. Attendance at these sessions is not required for admission. The applicant is responsible for knowing program prerequisites and requirements.
Participants learn firsthand about our Master of Physician Assistant Studies Program from program faculty. A review of the prerequisite courses required for admissions, an admissions process overview and if time permits, a tour of the program, including classrooms and physical examination lab.
Participants are encouraged to come prepared by bringing a notebook and pen/pencil. We have found that spending time reviewing the information on our website before coming to an information session is valuable.
We also highly recommend that participants research the physician assistant profession prior to attending a session. We highly recommend these information sites:
How to become a more competitive applicant...
- Develop strong critical thinking skills
- Critical thinking is the use of reasoning, evaluation, analysis, decision making and problem solving in the approach to medical decision making
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the US healthcare delivery system and the role PAs play in providing healthcare
- In addition to required courses, take additional rigorous, upper level science courses and earn high level marks in them
- Take and excel in a medical terminology course
- Develop excellent written and oral communication skills
- Learn all that you can about the PA profession. This includes the history of the profession, origin of the profession and the philosophy of the profession
- Review our website and become familiar with Mississippi State University Master of Physician Assistant Studies Program, its Vision and Mission
- Learn a second language or become more proficient in your current second language
- Take additional courses in the biological sciences, behavioral and social sciences
- Acquire hands-on health care experience in excess of the requirements
- Develop concrete examples of your motivation for becoming a PA
- Shadow as many clinically practicing PAs as possible to ensure you are suited to the demands of this demanding profession
Virtual Information Sessions
Session One - Time: 1-3 PM Wednesday Feb. 24, 2021
Session Two - Time: 9-11 AM Saturday March 13, 2021
Session Three - Time: 5-7 PM Thursday April 8, 2021
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, all information sessions will be held virtually. Please RSVP to gain access information. Preference is given to those who are currently participating in the application process for the Class of 2021. Other Information Sessions will be announced late this summer.