Dear MSU-Meridian Student,
First, I want to acknowledge the unprecedented nature of the time we are in. We are all experiencing uncertainty as we work to navigate our COVID-19 response. The university is responding to new information as it is released. I wanted to provide a few updates that may assist you as we plan to move to online classes March 23.
- Online Courses - Your faculty are spending this week preparing to move all courses to an online format. If you have not used our learning management system, CANVAS, use this week to familiarize yourself with this platform. Resources are available at https://www.msstate.edu/acstudents.
- Academic Resources – The Academic Writing and Tutoring Center on our Meridian Campus will continue virtually through Canvas to accommodate students. Students have the option to upload their paper to Canvas to receive help via comments and also have the option to set up a meeting with Ms. Leslie Pevey to discuss the paper via Webex. Students requiring virtual help should email Ms. Pevey at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two days before the assignment’s due date, not including weekends.
- Potential Illness - Should you become infected with COVID-19 and are unable to keep up with or complete online work, our standard procedures for assisting students will be in place. You can contact the Dean of Students Office at 662-325-3611 for specific questions.
- Disability Status - If you are a student with a disability accommodation, those accommodations will be made to via our online instruction. Disability Support Services remains available to assist students via phone, distance-enabled meetings, and in person where necessary. Start this conversation with Ms. Amy Smith in our Meridian Student Services Office email@example.com.
- Library - The Phil Hardin Library on our College Park Campus remains open with additional procedures in place to ensure health & safety. However, the Phil Hardin Library on our Riley Campus will be closed until further notice. Remote Library Resources can be found here.
- Internet and Computer Resources – Should you be unable to access the internet or adequate technology at home, the computer lab on the College Park Campus will be available for your use. This lab is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
- Activities, Meetings, Programs - All activities/programs/events are canceled through May 10 including those sponsored by registered student organizations. This date continues to be updated
- Academic Advising – Academic Advising will be conducted via conference call or Webex. A list of majors, assigned academic advisors, and advisor contact information can be found here https://www.meridian.msstate.edu/current-students/academic-advising/.
- Counseling Services – Weems Mental Health continues to provide counseling for our students. Call (601) 483-4821 and tell them you are student at MSU Meridian. The operator will direct you accordingly.
- Financial - Students who are faced with financial difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis can apply for financial assistance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please detail the reason for your request including circumstances such as being unable to return to your on-campus employment, expenses associated with self-quarantine, or other COVID-19 related circumstances leading to financial distress will be considered. Please attach any appropriate documentation to this request. Funds are limited, every request may not be funded or fully-funded.
I know you are likely to have other questions. An updated student FAQ will be posted today at msstate.edu/coronavirus. This site offers the most up-to-date information about MSU’s COVID-19 response. I am available to answer questions and virtual meet-up/live-chats have been scheduled for Wednesday (3/18) at 3 p.m. and Thursday (3/19) at 8 p.m. Connection information was emailed to your MSU account. In all you do, please do practice social distancing & good handwashing techniques and other appropriate health related steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Terry Dale Cruse, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President & Head of Campus
Mississippi State University - Meridian